Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Full Circle

We arrived back in Johannesburg this afternoon after our whirlwind adventures in Namibia and Zambia. After my last entry we flew off to Windhoek, Namibia's capital city. To be quite honest I didn't care for the vibe there (more on that another time) and we rented a car the following day and set off for Sossusvlei. These massive dunes are a truly breath-taking sight that is hard enough to capture on film, so I will hardly even make the attempt to describe them in words. That, and I'm very short on internet time.

After Sossusvlei we traveled northwest to the beach town of Swakopmund. I fell in love with this spot, which had a relaxing atmosphere, fabulous restaurants, cutesy shops, and some really great sunsets. I also got the chance to visit their aquarium and museum one day while hubby was off paragliding in the dunes.

After dropping the car back in Windhoek, we took a 22 hour bus to Livingstone, Zambia, which shares a border with neighboring Zimbabwe. In my opinion the Zambians were the friendliest group of people, as a whole, that I had the pleasure to encounter in Africa. As strangers in a foreign (and very poor) land, we never felt concerned for our safety or valuables and on the contrary, the locals were always striking up conversations with us. We saw the famed Victoria Falls and did a bit of hiking, coming thisclose to many, many baboons!

Much more to write and tons of pictures to upload soon - but time's up for now!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Krista you sound like you are having so much fun. Interesting about the Zambians...will talk to my husband later about where you have been...he walked through the Sahara when he was younger.

As for sand dunes...my husband recently walked 35 kilometres along the Stockton Bight....that is where they filmed the Mad Max movies.

Looking forward to seeing those photos.