Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Motherhood Is...

So, the other day I was changing my son's diaper and like 30 minutes later I found a smudge of orange poo on my pinky. And it didn't gross me out (although it's probably grossing you out). In fact, I laughed about it. Because that's my life now - poo on pinkies, spit-up on shoulders and occasionally even baby wizz on the walls.

How priorities change...Dan and I left our munchkin with grandma Monday night for our first post-baby date night. We were back home after an hour-and-a-half. And even though I had plenty of bottled milk stored up to feed Cass, I didn't even drink my entire glass of wine. Because...I dunno, just in case he was hungry the minute I walked in the door and there weren't 2 minutes to spare heating the cold supply?

And it was difficult to remember the things we used to talk about as a childless couple, which was definitely a bit disconcerting. Daycare, medical bills and upcoming doctor's appointments, and the boy's recent diaper explosions...it was hard to shift focus and talk about something else. And really, do you want to talk about diaper explosions over dinner? Ok, really, do you want to talk about them at all, ever?

But then again, he's given us some great stories after just six weeks and I know there are many more to come- the kind of stories that can be told over and over again without losing their charm. So I suppose that we'll never run out of conversation at the dinner table...though we might agree to stop discussing the contents of those diapers.

2 comments:

raining sheep said...

Hi Krista, I am so excited to see that you have had a very blessed little baby come into your life. I did have a good laugh about the orange poo...I remember those days as if they were only yesterday. I hop you are doing well. I have had a bit of a crazy time of it in the last five months. Really busy at work and things were a bit overwhelming. I have a bunch of Uni courses coming up so life is really not slowing down. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it. I have done very little knitting, but some crochet and definitely have been taking a lot pics. Enjoy your baby, they grow up so quickly that first year.

Krista said...

thank you, raina - time is definitely flying and he's changing so quickly :)

and please remember to schedule some 'you' time during these busy months!