Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Such Is Life...

We are supposed to leave for Thailand in 9 days, and the frickin’ country is now in a state of emergency. An eruption of violence last night/this morning claimed one casualty and injured 44 others. Protesting factions are threatening to disrupt public services (overland transportation, electricity, water…) and possibly cancel flights and close some airports.

I’m starting to feel a bit cursed. Initially, when planning our journeys, Dan and I had discussed traveling to India. And wouldn’t you know it – multiple bombs go off in Ahmedabad, killing about 50 people and injuring well over 100. The wounded are transported to a nearby hospital, where the insurgents had planted bombs as well.

We also have plans to visit South Africa in November. And naturally, South Africa is also experiencing unrest, as the native South Africans and the migrant workers from poorer surrounding countries clash over jobs and wages.

I mean, really: what the hell are we doing to each other? How did it come to this? And where will it stop…

We are boarding that flight next week and going to Thailand. We’ll head north, just as we planned, and hide out in the jungles – because at least the elephants aren’t homicidally political.

Life doesn’t stop, and it doesn’t get better or worse. It just moves…and we struggle like hell to keep up.

2 comments:

Gio said...

Oh men, sorry to hear about the travel situations. I like your attitude; life goes on. I will pray for you two. Stay safe and look forward to see your pics!

I went to Cuba despite all the negative comments by people and the feds scaring me away. I did it and it was the most fun time in my life! I felt extremely safe and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Krista said...

Thanks gio - that actually does cheer me up some :)