Friday, October 10, 2008

Down the Homestretch

I love lists, and I’m forever making tick marks, striking through, checking off, and counting down. These days I have notepads, calendars, day planners and post-its spread higgledy-piggledy over my desk in unabashed disarray. Its organized chaos, and I rule it all.

Hubby and I are plotting our exit strategy from the corporate nightmare. So far, we’ve booked tickets to Kenya, where we’ll safari, and then onward to South Africa, where Dan will paraglide for several weeks and I will try to catch up on the reading that I’ve been neglecting as of late. Still a little fuzzy on what happens next, but eventually we’ll end up on the Zimbabwean border to experience the majesty of Victoria Falls.

I know you’re probably thinking, wait a minute – didn’t you guys just get back?? What about the sad state of the economy? Why relinquish the stability of two perfectly good, high income jobs with stock markets crashing all around you and the uncertainty of the future looming over you like Grendel?

Partly because I think that the next step on this crazy rollercoaster ride will be a massive bailout for ALL consumer debt, so clearly it makes as much sense to spend as it does to save. In essence, I’m giving the financial finger to those who should know better. Sort of like: hey Fed – bail this!

But mostly because that’s just how we roll.

7 comments:

beckie said...

:O You guys are freaking incredible. The best part is that most of the plans aren't set in stone. Your plans are the best kind of rough sketch and I can't wait to see how you fill in the marvelous details. I just get this remarkable feeling that you guys are really living your lives in the truest sense.

Kathleen said...

I am with beckie....go for it....it's great to do these things while

a] young enough and fit enough to enjoy them
b] while you are in this stage of your marriage
c] you have the money to do it

My cousin is in a position now as CEO of a top insurance company [she's 48 now, no children] but on the climb to that position both she and her husband worked intensively with whatever company for several years...then they had eight months off cycling through Europe and other places. She said it was a stress buster and I believe a break is written into the contract of a lot of top executives now so that companies do not lose their executives.

Happy planning!

Krista said...

Thanks ladies!

The only thing I really prefer to have far in advance is airfare. I worked in my company's travel department for a year, and we had to do lots of last-minute rebooking - the difference in airfare was enough to turn your stomach.

Kathleen, your abc's are dead-on :)

raining sheep said...

Oh how I love your attitude. I live the financial nightmare at work every day right now. I want out too. Definitely sounds like you are in control of your life and I love that.

Krista said...

thanks raina! all of this drama with the economy just tells me that you can't plan for everything...we work with that :)

Gio said...

lol. I'm with you guys. It is the only way to live life. Love you both for that! Victoria Falls? OMG. Awesome...My friend is asking me to go to Dubai in Jan but for some reason I'm hesitant to visit that country. I'm leaning more to Colombia, Venezuela or France. :)

It is more more fun and exciting when there isn't a detail plan. I mean, my cuba trip few years ago was decided in a happy hour and it did not matter that US govt. does not allow travel there. It made the visit even sweeter and gain wonderful experiences.

Enjoy it!

Krista said...

very cool that you've been to cuba - that's something not many americans can say!

dubai has tons of (expensive) shopping and some fabulous restaurants, but i'm with you - i'd rather travel someplace with more history.