Saturday, October 4, 2008

Two Years O' Happy

Yesterday, Dan and I celebrated two years as partners in crime.
We met in the fall of 2006 in Africa (every time I say that, I hear echoes of Meryl Streep saying “I had a farm in Afrika…” in my head), and we had instant chemistry. Being more of the ‘just wing it’ variety, I actually had to chase him. Luckily, I am both persistent and shameless, and soon we were inseparable.

So, I guess you could say that we ‘rang in the new year’ a tad early with a romantic dinner at Ruen Tamarind while in Chiang Mai. Ruen is located in the Tamarind Village hotel complex, so dubbed for the 200-year-old tamarind tree located on the grounds. You can enter from a side street lined with bamboo, the tree tops bending inward to a gentle point overhead, where the buzz of city life quickly melts away. Two musicians played soft jazz and though the dining room was quite small, the tables were admirably spaced, so that the atmosphere was both casual and intimate.

We shared a bottle of Monsoon Valley (ok, I had the lion’s share), a very flavorful Thai blend of Pokdum and Shiraz. The shrimp spring rolls were fried ever. so. delicately. so that the shrimpy goodness was not overpowered. Hubby ordered the beef, pounded nice and tender, and I selected curry with grilled prawns – both yummdidliummy. And for dessert: sticky rice with mango and two spoons :)

The food was perfectly prepared, the service was impeccable, and the whole night reminded me that I am one heck of a happy girl.

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

Happy Anniversary to you both, sounds like you had a wonderful early celebration. We recently celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary.May you have many many more.

Krista said...

Many thanks Kathleen and a huge congratulations to you on Silver!

beckie said...

You guys are such a lovely couple. How wonderful that you got to celebrate your anniversary on such a kick-ass trip. And yes, here's to many, many more :)

Krista said...

Thanks, beckie :) We do our best!

Gio said...

Congrats. Your description of your dinner made me think like I was there. Happy girl & boy!

Krista said...

Thank you, Gio. It was a memorable evening for sure :)