Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hungry For More

I lived in NYC from 2001-2006 and have been feeling an eensy bit nostalgic in the last few days. I think its largely food-related, though. I think the last really great meal I had was the filet mignon with creamy walnut and gorgonzola sauce at Herve on St. Thomas in June - best steak ever. Ever, I tell you, and I know from steak.

Anyhoo, if you're ever in the Big Apple, these are a few of my local* favs:

Cafeteria: for breakfast - Green Eggs and Ham (scramblies with pesto and goat cheese and the juiciest chunk of country ham) or The Waffle with berries and cinnamon cream. Hubby and I agree to disagree.

7A: for breakfast/brunch - LOTS o' food for the money and so easy to find (it's on 7th St. and A Ave.)

Baraonda: this is my numero uno. The sun-dried tomato in olive oil concoction they serve with the bread is delish, as is the nutella crepe for dessert. I usually get the tuna tartare for an appetizer, and a simple dish of pasta bolognese for the main course - but that's just me. I love the Valentino Cortazar portraits that cover the walls; if I could have figured out a way to filch one without getting caught, make no mistake that I very likely would have done it.

Uva: for bird food and cocktails - sample the Ubriaco Veneto and do let the bartender select a wine to accompany

Olive Tree Cafe: late night - have the wings and a drink. They have a lot of salads too, for those of you who eat the stuff. There's also a comedy show in the cellar, where people like Ray Romano and Dave Chappelle started out.

I realize I've left out lunch, but only because I consider lunch the least fun of the three meals.

*Note that I said local. Of course there are fancier, trendier, and "better" restaurants - but most New Yorkers (read: I) can't afford them. If you can, by all means - eat and be merry. If not, the above were easily affordable on a bartender's wages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, awesome list! I have a couple of friends who just moved to NYC and I can't wait to visit more. I love going to little places that locals enjoy. Baraonda sounds wonderful.

Krista said...

"If wishes were fishes"...I'd visit twice a year: once in the spring and once in the fall :)