Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Heart Is Broken

Maybe I’m the last to know, but I just found out that Polaroid is discontinuing instant film. As in, not making anymore. At all. For the rest of time.

Does anyone else think this is wrong?? My favorite pictures from childhood are Polaroids. An instant is like a fingerprint – you can’t ever reproduce it. It’s 100% one of a kind. Don’t get me wrong – I love digital as much as the next guy. But can’t we have our cake and eat it, too?? I suppose the next step is to stop printing books and use only e-copies, or to stop playing musical instruments and just simulate them on some sort of gaming system. Hey…wait a minute…

Call me sentimental, call me a fool. But for the love of all things truly original, give us back the Polaroid!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I have been waiting for this to take effect for the past few years....read about it when they were about to be bought out or go under...then I saw them being used on CSI and stuff like that [in adds do not watch it] and thought they were saved somehow.

They have become so hugely expensive in Australia...worked out about two dollars a shot and if you stuffed that up...well... it got expensive...so maybe that was a factor.

Was just about to peg my half finished quilt to the clothes line so that I can photograph it when I saw this so shall ponder and research and get back to you should I find anything else that is going the way of the dinosaurs!!!!

Anonymous said...

I heard about this a few months ago and yeah, this totally bums me out. I'm not very good with my Polaroid, but I always figured I'd have years and years to practice!

I'm pretty much thinking that another company will take over production, though I haven't heard anything for sure. In the meantime, I guess I should stock up.

Krista said...

It's about the same price-wise in the US. Wildly expensive, so I save it for special days :)

I just picked up a few packs online, so I can at least have one final hurrah! Although it has to expire eventually, so I really hope someone else does capitalize on the new void in the market.